New to the WM DPG?
Symposium 2016 is the happening place to be!
Meet fellow colleagues working hard like you and realize the power in networking!
- 2016 Symposium
- 2016 Symposium Objectives
- 2016 Symposium Highlights
- How to Request Employer Funding to Attend Symposium
- Travel Information
- Hotel Accomodations
- Fun Facts About Baltimore
- 2015 Symposium
- 2015 Symposium Handouts & CPEUs
- 2015 Symposium Audio Recordings
- Purchase 2015 Symposium Audio Recordings
Get Ready for Symposium in Baltimore!
April 15-17, 2016 at the Hyatt Regency
Do you have outcomes you want to share with fellow weight management colleagues?
Call for Abstracts - Information & Application Form
Are you collecting outcomes for your practice or program and want the opportunity to showcase this experience? Then submit an abstract for a Poster Presentation at the 2016 WM DPG Symposium. Submission deadline is November 15th.
Talk to your employer about how you can attend Symposium in 2016! We have a helpful resource and template available under the tab "How to Request Employer Funding to Attend Symposium".
Here’s what attendees said about attending our last Symposium in Portland
“My first WM DPG conference and totally impressed with everything: speakers, topics, meals/ snacks, exhibitors, hotel, respecting the schedule.”
“The variety of topics that were covered. It was not all just clinical-related topics. I like that there were practical applications to deliver the education related to weight management.”
“Very insightful, practical and it provided me with an opportunity to refine, explore, and define my next steps.” (attended Build your Niche pre-symposium workshop)
2016 Symposium Objectives
- Describe the outcomes of a variety of evidence-based weight management treatment options including individual counseling/coaching, group support, food plan variations, physical activity/exercise, medications and surgery.
- Identify considerations for specific target populations (e.g., culture, gender, age, ethnicity, health literacy, socioeconomic factors, disease state) that can play a role in weight management.
- Examine the impact of various technologies on the delivery and implementation of evidence-based approaches for weight management.
- Explore evidence-based adult and pediatric weight management strategies implemented in a variety of settings such as schools, worksites, faith-based organizations, health clubs and communities, as well as more traditional health care environments.
- Interactively discuss implementing evidence-based strategies into practice.
- Examine the physiological mechanisms involved in or contribute to weight management and treatment modalities through evidence-based research.
2016 Symposium Highlights
Are you looking for new ways to use technology to enhance your practice or want to learn more about integrative medicine in weight management?
Do you want to take gain insight in understanding how circadian rhythms affect weight or how to effectively lose weight and gain muscle in a caloric deficit?
Or do you want to be up to date with the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, feel confident translating research into practice and network with the leading experts in the field.
Do you know there is more power in numbers? Come meet and greet with fellow colleagues excited about weight management at our networking receptions. Share your success. Realize you are not alone in your professional struggles and challenges.
Then, it is time to Build on the Past: Navigate the Future by attending the annual Weight Management DPG Symposium in Baltimore, Maryland this April 15-17, 2015.
Who should come?
Any and all professionals who are looking for fresh new ideas, innovative tools to keep weight management exciting, productive and filled with sustainable results.
Anyone who has an interest in learning more about weight management!
Come join us and learn from the leading experts in the field today.
Pitching with confidence: How to ask for WM DPG symposium funding
Your mind is made up. You want to attend the 2016 Weight Management DPG Symposium! BUT…how do you convince your employer to provide financial support to attend? We have created a resource that outlines the steps you can take that will help you prepare a more compelling conversation with your manager.
Request for Attendance at Weight Management Symposium Template
Below is an editable template designed to quickly and clearly help your manager see the benefits of attending the Symposium to you and the organization.
|Early bird on or before 2/1/16||Full Registration after 3/17/16||On-Site Registration 4/15-4/17|
|Academy Member/Non-WM *||$320||$350||$380|
|Student WM Member||$100||$120||$150|
|Student Non-WM Member||$130||$150||$180|
|Workshop (with Symposium Registration)||$80||$90||$100|
Should you be traveling by air, it is recommended that you fly to the Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI).
Transportation to/ from Baltimore Airport:
Super Shuttle 800-258-3826
Pick-up is every 30 minutes at the ground transportation desk (baggage claim areas 3, 4, 5). Look for the blue vans with yellow lettering with Super Shuttle.
Hours: 6:00am to 2:00am
Shared Ride Service is $15.00 each way. Shuttle Service does have chair lifts. Go to the website for additional pricing and to make reservations in advance.
Service is available on a first come, first serve basis from the lower level curb of all terminals. All taxis are metered. Approximate cost from BWI to the Hyatt Regency Baltimore is $35.00 one way.
BUS-MTA picks up right outside the Hyatt, making it easy to explore the area. See the Concierge desk for details, including maps and schedules.
Symposium will be held at the Hyatt Regency Baltimore.
300 Light Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
$185 + taxes per night (single and double rooms)
Wi-Fi available in sleeping rooms only
Contact Hyatt Regency: 410-528-1234
** Be sure to mention “Weight Management DPG Symposium” to get your contracted hotel rate***
FUN FACTS about Baltimore
- The 1,200-foot Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore is the third longest continuous truss bridge in the nation.
- Francis Scott Key wrote America's National Anthem while watching the bombardment of Fort McHenry during the War of 1812.
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport is the first and only United States airport to have a dedicated trail for hiking and biking.
- Baltimore is the hometown of a number of famous athletes, including baseball great, Babe Ruth, and Olympic champion swimmer, Michael Phelps.
- During the 19th Century, Baltimore was the second-largest port city for incoming immigrants to America.
- The Maryland State House is the oldest state capitol still in continuous legislative use.
- Snowballs—grandfathers to slushies, snow cones, and shave ice—were invented in Baltimore during the American Industrial Revolution.
- Maryland is a prominent producer and processor of seafood and a national leader in the production of blue crabs and soft clams.
Previous Symposium Attendees have said:
“Very insightful, practical and it provided me with an opportunity to refine, explore, and define my next steps.” (in reference to the Build your Niche pre-symposium workshop 2015)
“Incredible presentation, phenomenal speaker, multitude of direct application opportunities into my practice.”
“This is the first time I have attended. I enjoyed getting a feel for what is happening out there since I am in private practice and feel somewhat isolated at times.”
“The quality of speakers was absolutely amazing!!! I felt this was the best symposium I've been to in years. To hear from the primary researchers from so- o-o many large studies was the best!”
“Since I am a student and have not yet started an internship, I learned quite a bit from many of the presentations and plan to look up more information on many of the topics. I also really liked the networking opportunity.”
“The sessions were very informational. I appreciated the opportunity to network and felt the open table environment was conducive to networking.”
“This was my first WM DPG symposium and I am an experienced dietitian but new to this area of practice. The symposium really gave me great ideas to incorporate into my everyday practice, which is what I was looking for. The speakers all did a wonderful job with their presentations.”
2015 WM DPG Symposium
Thank you to everyone that attended the 2015 WM DPG Symposium!
- Attendees can access handouts and CPEUs by clicking the "Symposium Handouts & CPEUs" tab to the left.
- The Symposium Sessions were Audio-recorded and are available for purchase. Click on the "Symposium Audio Recordings Purchase" tab to the left.
Symposium Handouts are Only Available to Symposium Registrants
If you are a Symposium registrant and are seeing this message, please log in and return to this page to view the Symposium Handouts.
WM DPG 2015 Virtual Symposium Sessions Audio Recordings
- Access Purchased Audio Recordings (Note: you will be prompted to log in to access this page)