New to the WM DPG?
Symposium 2016 is the happening place to be!
Meet fellow colleagues working hard like you and realize the power in networking!
- 2016 Symposium
- Symposium Program
- 2016 Symposium Objectives
- How to Request Employer Funding to Attend Symposium
- Travel Information
- Hotel Accomodations
- Fun Facts About Baltimore
- About Baltimore
Build on the Past: Navigate the Future
April 15-17, 2016 at the Hyatt Regency
Early Bird Registration has been extended to February 15th!
Don’t miss this opportunity to navigate your practice and skills and become engaged in the national conversation around weight management!
- Scan the horizon of the future by exploring cutting-edge research on fetal programming, meal timing and integrative medicine.
- Chart your course to work with target populations of infants, adolescents, bariatric surgical clients and weight loss maintainers.
- Sail away with coaching, technology and science that will help you engage with clients.
Are you ready to become a captain of your future?
Who should come?
Any and all professionals who are looking for fresh new ideas, innovative tools to keep weight management exciting, productive and filled with sustainable results.
Anyone who has an interest in learning more about weight management!
Come join us and learn from the leading experts in the field today.
Early Bird Registration is now live and has been extended to February 15th, 2016! Join us in Baltimore April 15th-17th for 20+ CPEUs while networking with your fellow weight management leaders and experts. @wtmgmtdpg #WMSYMP2016
Talk to your employer about how you can attend Symposium in 2016! We have a helpful resource and template available under the tab "How to Request Employer Funding to Attend Symposium".
2016 Symposium Objectives
- Describe the outcomes of evidence-based weight management treatment options ranging from individual counseling to group support, use of medications and surgery.
- Identify unique considerations for target populations that address factors such as culture, gender, age, socioeconomic and chronic disease.
- Examine the impact of various technologies on the delivery, implementation and efficacy of weight management.
- Explore weight management approaches tailored to novel settings such as school, worksites, faith-based organizations, health clubs and communities cneters, as well as traditional healthcare environments.
- Integrate research-validated strategies into weight management practice.
|Early bird on or before 2/15/16||Full Registration 2/2/16-4/11/16||On-Site Registration 4/12-4/17|
|Academy Member/Non-WM *||$320||$350||$380|
|Student WM Member||$100||$120||$150|
|Student Non-WM Member||$130||$150||$180|
|Workshop (with Symposium Registration)||$80||$90||$100|
NOTE: If you are unable to use Online Registration, please use the form below to register.
Pitching with confidence: How to ask for WM DPG symposium funding
Your mind is made up. You want to attend the 2016 Weight Management DPG Symposium! BUT…how do you convince your employer to provide financial support to attend? We have created a resource that outlines the steps you can take that will help you prepare a more compelling conversation with your manager.
Request for Attendance at Weight Management Symposium Template
Below is an editable template designed to quickly and clearly help your manager see the benefits of attending the Symposium to you and the organization.
Should you be traveling by air, it is recommended that you fly to the Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI).
Transportation to/ from Baltimore Airport:
Super Shuttle 800-258-3826
Pick-up is every 30 minutes at the ground transportation desk (baggage claim areas 3, 4, 5). Look for the blue vans with yellow lettering with Super Shuttle.
Hours: 6:00am to 2:00am
Shared Ride Service is $15.00 each way. Shuttle Service does have chair lifts. Go to the website for additional pricing and to make reservations in advance.
Service is available on a first come, first serve basis from the lower level curb of all terminals. All taxis are metered. Approximate cost from BWI to the Hyatt Regency Baltimore is $35.00 one way.
BUS-MTA picks up right outside the Hyatt, making it easy to explore the area. See the Concierge desk for details, including maps and schedules.
Symposium will be held at the Hyatt Regency Baltimore.
300 Light Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
$185 + taxes per night (single and double rooms)
Wi-Fi available in sleeping rooms only
Contact Hyatt Regency: 410-528-1234
** Be sure to mention “Weight Management DPG Symposium” to get your contracted hotel rate***
FUN FACTS about Baltimore
- The 1,200-foot Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore is the third longest continuous truss bridge in the nation.
- Francis Scott Key wrote America's National Anthem while watching the bombardment of Fort McHenry during the War of 1812.
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport is the first and only United States airport to have a dedicated trail for hiking and biking.
- Baltimore is the hometown of a number of famous athletes, including baseball great, Babe Ruth, and Olympic champion swimmer, Michael Phelps.
- During the 19th Century, Baltimore was the second-largest port city for incoming immigrants to America.
- The Maryland State House is the oldest state capitol still in continuous legislative use.
- Snowballs—grandfathers to slushies, snow cones, and shave ice—were invented in Baltimore during the American Industrial Revolution.
- Maryland is a prominent producer and processor of seafood and a national leader in the production of blue crabs and soft clams.
There are lot of great things to check out in the Baltimore area, whether you are looking for a leisurely strolls through Baltimore parks and gardens or want to explore the Inner Harbor boat and paddle-boarding tours.
Check out some of the must see’s and to do’s during your stay. Most options are all within a short walk or taxi ride.
Segs in the City
Not sure what you are looking for while you are staying in Baltimore? Segs in the City offers a variety of Segway tours for sightseeing, and touring historic Fell’s Point district and take in beautiful views of the Inner Harbor. http://segsinthecity.com/baltimore
Adventure awaits Matey! Climb aboard the pirate ship, Fearless for an interactive sailing exploration out of the Ann Street Pier in Fells Point. With the help of their crew, here you learn to talk, dance, and play games like a pirate. Urban Pirates offer daily adventures that start in April 2016. Make your reservation early as most cruises sell out quickly. http://urbanpirates.com
Charm City Food Tours
Want to explore Baltimore’s culinary scene, then check out Charm City Food Tours. Take in the rich history and architecture of the city with local cuisine. Immerse yourself in Baltimore’s historic neighborhoods, public markets and sample foods that have been made the same way for generations. Enjoy a variety of cuisines throughout the city. A must for any foodie! http://baltimorefoodtours.com
McFadden Art Glass
Ever wanted to learn how to blow your own glass? If you enjoy any type of arts and crafts, this is one opportunity you don’t want to pass up. Take a glassblowing workshop where you will work with the resident glass artist to design a piece of all shapes, color and sizes and be guided to create your own masterpiece. Pieces will be available for pick up 48 hours after the workshop or can be shipped to you for an additional $10 fee per project. http://mcfaddenartglass.com
Baltimore National Aquarium
Looking for a great place to learn about the life in the ocean. Great for all ages. The National Aquarium is a non-profit organization whose mission is to inspire conservation of the world’s aquatic treasures and includes access to close to 20,000 animals and award winning exhibits. Be sure to check out the Aquarium after dark and the Rainforest exhibit! http://www.aqua.org
Fort McHenry National Monument
Wanting to soak in some of the rich history of Baltimore? Visit Fort McHenry National Monument and Shrine of the Battle of Baltimore, September of 1814. Visit the site that inspired Frances Scott Key to write our national anthem. http://www.nps.gov/fomc/index.htm#_=_
Previous Symposium Attendees have said:
“Very insightful, practical and it provided me with an opportunity to refine, explore, and define my next steps.” (in reference to the Build your Niche pre-symposium workshop 2015)
“Incredible presentation, phenomenal speaker, multitude of direct application opportunities into my practice.”
“This is the first time I have attended. I enjoyed getting a feel for what is happening out there since I am in private practice and feel somewhat isolated at times.”
“The quality of speakers was absolutely amazing!!! I felt this was the best symposium I've been to in years. To hear from the primary researchers from so- o-o many large studies was the best!”
“Since I am a student and have not yet started an internship, I learned quite a bit from many of the presentations and plan to look up more information on many of the topics. I also really liked the networking opportunity.”
“The sessions were very informational. I appreciated the opportunity to network and felt the open table environment was conducive to networking.”
“This was my first WM DPG symposium and I am an experienced dietitian but new to this area of practice. The symposium really gave me great ideas to incorporate into my everyday practice, which is what I was looking for. The speakers all did a wonderful job with their presentations.”
- 2015 Symposium
- 2015 Symposium Handouts & CPEUs
- 2015 Symposium Audio Recordings
- Purchase 2015 Symposium Audio Recordings
2015 WM DPG Symposium
Thank you to everyone that attended the 2015 WM DPG Symposium!
- Attendees can access handouts and CPEUs by clicking the "Symposium Handouts & CPEUs" tab to the left.
- The Symposium Sessions were Audio-recorded and are available for purchase. Click on the "Symposium Audio Recordings Purchase" tab to the left.
Symposium Handouts are Only Available to Symposium Registrants
If you are a Symposium registrant and are seeing this message, please log in and return to this page to view the Symposium Handouts.
WM DPG 2015 Virtual Symposium Sessions Audio Recordings
- Access Purchased Audio Recordings (Note: you will be prompted to log in to access this page)