Public Policy decisions related to WM DPG can have a direct and immediate impact on individuals we serve. Therefore, one of our many goals is to become involved in the decision making process and make our views known to local, state and federal government officials. Becoming an “active” citizen is one of the best ways to protect the interests and priorities of The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and its members.
Additional advocacy information and supportive tools at The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Read on for more information
Become an “Active” Citizen – Steps to Empowerment
- Educate yourself. Visit the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Public Policy section – there you will find several tools to educate yourself on current nutrition policies and healthcare reform.
- Identify your elected official; both state and federal. Get to know them. Do they set on any committees that influence nutrition policy? Do they have any stances or special interests pertaining to nutrition?
- Take action. Write a letter, phone, send an email and/or plan a visit. Discuss:
- Your role as a dietitian and how you impact their constituent
- The Academy’s Priority Areas
- Any current legislation related to nutrition
- The importance of establishing/maintaining a state licensure
- Invite them to your place of work
- Invite them to your next local or state dietetic meeting
- Provide them with materials related to your discuss
- Provide them with your contact information and identify yourself as a nutrition resource