With the ever-increasing challenges of obesity both nationally and worldwide, it makes sense that organizations with similar missions work together to support and empower each other, as well as share resources and information. That is the reason WM DPG has established several formalized relationships (“networks”) with other allied health organizations.
Currently, WM DPG has formed TWO Network relationships:
- The Obesity Society (TOS)
- American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- WM DPG Network Activities
The Obesity Society (TOS) was the first network established by WM DPG. Having similar missions, WM DPG and TOS share information useful to both organizations.
Who is TOS?
TOS is the leading scientific society dedicated to the study of obesity. Since 1982, TOS has been committed to encouraging research on the causes and treatment of obesity, and to keeping the medical community and public informed of new advances. Learn more about The Obesity Society (TOS).
In January 2008, The American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) became WM DPG’s second Network. With similar missions, WM DPG and ASMBS share information useful to both organizations.
Who is ASMBS?
Founded in 1983, ASMBS plays an active role in promoting obesity surgery with committees whose tasks include pursuing improvement in the insurance milieu, development and dissemination of information about surgical and patient care equipment, evolution of care standards, and involvement in malpractice litigation related to bariatric surgery. Learn more about The American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).
Examples of WM DPG Network activities include:
- Sharing organizational information via the other’s websites, newsletters, and member communication networks.
- Inter-leadership communication to identify opportunities for dialogue, collaboration, and member involvement.
- Promoting the other’s annual meeting and call for proposals
- Offering memberships discounted rates to the other’s meetings, continuing education activities and journals
- Exhibiting at the other’s annual meeting
- Increasing the visibility of the RD & Academy with the targeted organizations.
- Financial stipends for WM DPG members to attend ASMBS & TOS annual meetings